Saturday, June 15, 2013

Highlight reels can't be compared to real life

Today is one of those days where I need to remind myself that I am comparing my today to other's "highlight reel" as they say. I see people at the movie on the lakefront tonight, and going out to dinner with family, I see them on a trip to the cities, or spending the day/weekend at a beach and checking in at a state park. Others are posting pics of relaxing in the yard or the park.  I feel like I had such a waste of a beautiful day!!!

Reality of my day- I slept in a bit, got up and figured out quickly that the kids had some very real needs that needed dealing with today. Oldest child needed to pick out his glasses before he left for camp so they could get ordered while he is gone.  Girlie only had 1 pair of shorts that fit and needed more. Keegan figure out he really only had three pairs of shorts that fit him as well. There were library books on hold that needed getting before the departure to camp and we were a bit shy on food and milk for the day (we forgot the milk btw).  Then we came home and made a late lunch. As much as I wanted to get working I was so tired I took a nap.  Slept for 1/2 hr before waking to the sound of my boys lighting off last year's fireworks.

Getting up I decide to continue with laundry. Folding and washing and hanging out to dry takes up the rest of my day. I do take a 1/2 break at 4 pm to tan for 15 minutes per side as I have yet to step foot into the sunlight more than running from house to work or work to do a chore around the yard. It has been raining and glum or I have been working.....


I start supper super late for our household and by the time we finish it, it truly is time for the boys to go to bed if they are going to read (which is their plan). Time to watch 1 tv show with husband, who falls asleep during.....and it is bedtime. A perfect day (weather wise) pretty much wasted on the triviality of life.

So when I turn on FB and see others not wasting it away it is impossible not to get jealous. Like - turn green with envy.....jealous! Sigh

This is why I am trying to remind myself that this is a Highlight reel vs reality moment.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I unplugged from facebook for the summer and i have to tell you -- after just 2 weeks, I am happier and more at peace than I have been allllll year. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!