Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Empty cupboard + Shopping = $$$


=


"Old Mother Hubbard..."

by Mother Goose

Old Mother Hubbard
Went to the cupboard
To get her poor dog a bone;
But when she came there
The cupboard was bare,
And so the poor dog had none.

She went to the baker's
To buy him some bread;
But when she came back
The poor dog was dead.

She went to the joiner's
To buy him a coffin;
But when she came back
The poor dog was laughing.

She took a clean dish,
To get him some tripe;
But when she came back
He was smoking his pipe.

She went to the hatter's
To buy him a hat;
But when she came back
He was feeding the cat.

She went to the barber's
To buy him a wig;
But when she came back
He was dancing a jig.

She went to the fruiterer's
To buy him some fruit;
But when she came back
He was playing the flute.

She went to the tailor's
To buy him a coat;
But when she came back
He was riding a goat.

She went to the cobbler's
To buy him some shoes;
But when she came back
He was reading the news.

She went to the seamstress
To buy him some linen;
But when she came back
The dog was spinning.

She went to the hosier's
To buy him some hose;
But when she came back
He was dressed in his clothes.

The dame made a curtsey,
The dog made a bow;
The dame said, "Your servant,"
The dog said, "Bow-wow."

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~


Old Mother Hubbard = me
The dog = my family
empty cupboard + hungry family =
shopping today

8 comments:

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Oh joy! Somehow, I just can't picture you as Old Mother Hubbard!

TheChicGeek said...

I can only imagine what your food bills are these days. Yikes!
My sisters have four kids each. I truly admire you for the great job you are doing. :) Raising a large family and doing it well is a true art!
Have fun shopping and clip those coupons...LOL

Kacie said...

LoL I always loved that poem. I hadn't heard/read it in a long time! Thanks! Have fun shopping!

Deb said...

Tee-Hee! Under the "it could be worse category": at least you don't have to travel 2 hours for a super-market, have the cold stuff packed in dry ice, travel 2 hours back and unpack before you can put your feet up! Remember the good ole days?

Polly said...

You know I've never heard this poem before but it certainly sounds like something I should have heard before. Hope shopping was fun, food shopping is my favourite type of shopping

Just Jules said...

My dear sweet deb - I did a far better job of keeping on budget when we shopped that way though - although it was just dearest and me - everything was easier! I do miss the dry ice though.... then of course there is the middle of the canyons that I wish I could see today!
______

boylerpf - thank you for thinking I don't resemble Mother Hubbard! More like the lady in the shoe with so many kids she didn't know what to do!
________

Kacie - I didn't know there were so many verses to the nursery rhythm!
_________

Kelly, my chic geek- It is ridiculous how much we spend and I cook most things from scratch, but man food is soooo spendy!
_________
Polly - you haven't heard that before, it is a nursery rhythm from Mother Goose. Goodies, but oldies!

Sandra said...

Hope the cupboards are full. I hate the job myself.

Memories Of Mine said...

This was a very funny post.

I often refer to myself as Old Mother Hubbard. My daughter tells everybody, "My mummy is poor and we have no food".

I hope you have a full cupboard and a happy family even if it only for a few days. Problems is the cupboard doesn't stay full for very long.