Saturday, April 4, 2009

The "Good" Bowl


Off again to another day of selling while standing on my feet for 13 hours on a cement floor. Trying to be charming, yet knowledgeable in the world of dock and boat lifts. There fore I am again re-posting today.
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
Why do we save the good stuff for a special occasion? Trying to make supper preparation a little more special tonight I took out one of my "good" bowls.

As I was using it, I thought...why don't I use this bowl? Why save it? Who am I saving it for?

Same goes for fancy soap or a special necklace. If we save it for company or an evening out we are wasting many "special" moments in our ordinary days. I guess I worry I may ruin it. But, at least I enjoyed it before it got ruined.

I say this as I remember my aunt who was "saving" her crystal. She finally decided years and years later to take it out. From disuse (and cheap crystal) it had turned milky while in storage. Another example is when my grandmother died they had an estate sale. I came home with a huge basket of fancy soaps she had acquired over the years. Now here I was with them. What good did they do her? They sat in the cupboard collecting dust waiting for an occasion special enough to use them. Obviously, one never came.

So, take out the good bowl tonight, set the table with crystal, put the good soap in the holder, and treat YOURSELF and your FAMILY to the lit candles. Why save it for those moments that don't come.

9 comments:

Adan said...

i am in for the same thing as you today. standing up [although I get a padded carpet floor, but after 10 hours it feels like concrete] and trying to sell and be charming.

good luck! make it happen!

Missy said...

Great post! I do the same thing, wait for some special occasion!

Kacie said...

It's so true. That's one thing I love about my husband. He taught me to indulge in the "now" and live for today. He makes homemade wine, and we drink it (in our crystal glasses!) or give it away. We haven't saved any bottles to "age" so far! And he's got a fancy black cashmere sweater that he'll wear on a lazy Saturday just at home because "it's soooo soft and comfortable!" LoL... he doesn't care that it has to be taken to a dry cleaner to be cleaned if he gets it dirty! :)

Laura Doyle said...

What a good reminder to us all. : ) Thanks Jules and good luck selling! I'm in for a dose of sunshine today...I'm starting to lighten up already.

Samantha S said...

Thank you for reminding me that. EVERY day is special and should be treated as so.

Sandra said...

I used to use my crystal. The reason I don't now is because it has to be hand washed and I just don't seem to be able to get around to that. But your point is well-taken. You are right.

Amy said...

I enjoyed this post today as much as I did the first time - it is a great reminder!

TheChicGeek said...

Great post, Julie :) I had some lovely dishes that I was "saving"...giant earthquake, bam, never got to use them. No more. I savor each moment God gives me in this life and I always use the good bowl!
Have a Happy Day!

Delena said...

I use my good dishes everyday. I downsized in a big way 3 years and have not looked back. What I kept I use all the time.