Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sunday Night... Still a School Night

Oh why great gods of the school schedule? Why must you have used such poor judgment? When it was -37 degrees and the wind chill whipped around us at -54 degrees, keeping us inside and wrapped in blankets and depression - why then did you give us so many days off from school?

The kids have checked out, they are done. They are not paying attention to the teacher, they don't care anymore. (Evident by the 9 wrong girly got on her last spelling test!!!) Frankly I have been in the schools and the teachers are done too... you are wasting our time and our short short summer. I have to go out there, I have to tell them - it's time to come in, this is going to be impossible. Because...

Now, now it is Sunday night - the sun is shining for the first time all day and it is beautiful, perfect really. The kids are swinging, playing, and getting along. The fighting is less then the laughter, and yet in a few minutes I need to call them in. I need to end the joy. They will blame me, not you oh school board gods. You are the ones who deserve to hear the cries across the district as children are being pulled away from outside.

There are showers to be had tonight. Early mornings loom for another week. Our season here is so short, why did you insist on making it a week shorter?

Oh, dear sunshine and perfection please hang on for one more week, we are coming - there is just one last thing we need to do, finish school.

15 comments:

Pattern and Perspective said...

That's horrible. I hope you all can get through this week. TRF let out last Friday and I'm sure my bf's 13 year old will be making a mess of the house soon. (Oh, I dread that - I hpoe not). Anyway, I raise a glass of wine to you with hopes of a speedy week.

Dash said...

look at it this way, its less than 5 days away:)anf yes, i agree with patterna nd perspective, wine will definitely make it fly. Cheers!

Delwyn said...

Hi Jules,
you must count every good day of such a short summer season.
Will the kids go to camp or will you be entertaining them all holidays?

Happy Days

leah - moxiethrift on etsy said...

i love this writing. its butta. pure butta.


i too would have checked out. long before now, i would have checked out. keep on, keepin on.

Mari Mansourian said...

oh Jules I totally feel your pain, the Sunday night blues has set over our home as we speak, the kids get into the weekend mode, and don't want to hear about...."shower, clean you back pack and get ready for bed... school tomorrow!" :)

Deb said...

Are you tempted to play hooky? Will your MN ethic allow such wickedness? What will you do to celebrate this Friday? Do you have a school's out ritual? So are you planning on running for board member next year to help the revise the calendar? Just a question! lots of love, xxxooo

Just Jules said...

You are right MN ethics will not allow me to let them play hookie. You finish something and you finish it to the end.... sigh- morals, they get in the way!

Memories Of Mine said...

I can’t even imagine how one keeps warm in –37 weather. An extremely cold winter day for me is 45!! And I think that’s cold. Being from a place where it doesn’t snow I have always thought Snow Days sounded fun.

Polly said...

Well, by the time I'm reading it it's minus Monday, so only four school days to go! I hope you have a great summer.

Adrienne said...

Oh, gosh it is so hard to concentrate that last week...I feel for them, too.

Lorac said...

Although my children are grown, I remember that so well. I now see the same in the grandkids!

McGillicutty said...

Hi Jules, hang in there this week will fly by and then it's chill out all the way. I don't think Ash has brushed her hair in four days... bliss!!!!
XX
Ali.

Sandra said...

And in a few weeks you will be wishing they were in school. : )

TheChicGeek said...

I remember those days...LOL
And I agree with Sandra above me, "In a few weeks you will be wishing they were in school!" LOL
Have a Happy Day, Julie :D

Laura Doyle said...

Man, I remember getting out of school at the end of May and not going back until AFTER Labor Day. The schools here in Ohio don't get out until mid-June and then go back mid-August. Seems like a total rip-off to me. Poor kids are being primed for slavery and fun-deprivation before their even old enough to understand it. Despite the pointlessness of school running into summer, I'm sure the weather will be just lovely once they're out and you guys will have a fantastic summer of freedom!