Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My super secret project revealed

Your Mom’s Tattoo Atelier
Downtown Bemidji
February 2009

I walked into Mike’s business, a cold call. I had nothing but an idea. I nervously explained how I wanted to collect the stories of people who live in Bemidji; people who loved living here. Because, everyone has a story, I want to know what they are- don’t you?

Mike listened, smiled, and agreed. He agreed to the project. I had no site, I didn’t even have my camera with me. Just off the street. I came into his shoppe and was made right at home. A man gifted in his work using few words, rather speaking through his inks. An artist.

You have a story, everyone walking the streets of Bemidji has a story, so does he.
What is it?
Join me as we find out.

A hometown boy who left, only to return to the very town that had once stifled him. Leaving showed Mike who he was. Returning allowed him to become that person. This is the story of Michael Wiltse:

I am originally from Bemidji, MN. I was born in the mid-seventies and grew up in the downtown region of Bemidji. As a child I never really liked Bemidji that much, I suppose it was because of youth dreams of other places.

To read more and to see Mike's slide show of pictures please go to my new website:

This is my town: Bemidji

This is my super secret project I have been hinting at for a month and a half now. I "officially" launched the site last night. Special thanks to Julie Michelle for the inspiration from her site - I live here: SF. I also need to give Mike at WildernessVoice a shout out for helping me navigate WordPress and Godaddy. It is good to have super heros.

Please read, and enjoy. Jules

10 comments:

Stephanie Meade Gresham said...

I happy to add another Jules blog to my blogroll!
ps- starting with Mike was a super idea. maybe he's a little cute. :)

MommyLovesStilettos said...

AWESOME! Adding it to my blogroll :)

Will Burke said...

Cool! Best of luck with that. Any publishing interest, or am I getting the cart before the horse?

Vodka Logic said...

I love it

Deb said...

Congratulations on launching your project! Well done! MIke's story was fascinating. I appreciated the slide show and the 'regular guy' photos so much more after reading it. Looking forward to the next article!

Homer and Queen said...

Haven't got to the website yet but he is hot so far...

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!!! You got it going. I liked it. You should be proud, I am.

Jana said...

Hi Jules, just came over from the site and found it to be a wonderful new idea. telling the history of a place in such a novel and refreshing manner. Kudos to you for coming up with this. I am sure will read a lot more wonderful things in the time to come. Best of luck for this new project!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Such a great site Jules! It is going to take off for sure!

math guy, dock guy said...

Nice work Jules. I am proud of you and how you were able to put it all together.