Sunday, November 29, 2009

Fiery One

It is hard for me to believe that this little man is 7 years old today (Monday). When he was born he was going to be our last child. He was baby number 3 in three years. That was it, we were done. For a year and some he was treated as the last child. Until the real last child (baby #4) made a surprise visit in my womb and eventually the world.
(sometimes unplanned things turn out to be the best kind of surprise)

The first two babes came so quickly (17 months apart) and there was such a flurry of craziness in that short time that truly enjoying each moment was not something I focused on. Survival was the name of the game with them. But, I knew this was it. This was the last baby I would nurse, rock, change diapers, watch as he learned to sit/crawl/walk/and grow, I just knew to appreciate it because it wasn't going to last and it would be my last opportunity. (or so I thought)


I am so happy I was able to have that time with this child - my now official middle child. We have two oldests in our family really since one is a boy and one a girl and they are so close in age. We have a youngest too. Which leaves this boy pulling up the middle child role. OH, he has this role down pat.

His name means 'fiery one' . It is of the Celtic background and it couldn't be more accurate. I love this little boy and all of his complexities. He makes me laugh everyday and he makes me pull my hair (usually in the same moment).

So, Happy Happy Birthday to my little man. I can not wait to know you as an adult because you are going to be even more amazing.

5 comments:

Vodka Logic said...

Happy Birthday middle son. What a cute picture of the four of them.

A braver woman than I. My two are 5 years apart... silly me.

Will Burke said...

Happy B-Day Fiery One! A benifit to waiting as long as we did to have kids is learning from more experienced peers! Thanks for the moment-cherishing advice!

Big Blue House said...

Happy Birthday to my Aiden!!!!
I hope you had a good day and have a great time at your friend party. Did you get our card in the mail today? I hope you did.
Hugs and Kisses
Love Gram and Gramp

Anonymous said...

Our last three are within three years of one another, so yeah, that's fun.

Happy birthday, even if a little late . . .

Deb said...

Fiery One, Even though I missed your special day, I Want you to know that you are indeed an amazing person. I love your beautiful blue eyes, wide open smile and wiry frame. I wish for you an amazing year filled with exciting adventures and achievements. Birthday Blessings.